Monday, July 7, 2008

I am human. Nice to meet you.

Today I started a new job teaching indoor cycling at L.A. Fitness. It's a brand new facility, great amenities, and so far, there's nothing that compares to it in the Pittsburgh area. It's simply the best gym day care I've seen around, and I'm comparing that to Heathtrax, Alexander's Athletic Club, Bally's, and Xtreme Fitness Centers. Left is a sample picture of the Kids Klub at another L.A. Fitness, but the one in Pleasant Hills is similar.

I showed up 15 minutes early, thinking that would be enough time to get everyone set up on their bikes, but I had a hell of a time with the stereo system. Also, I'm used to having a remote with me to adjust the volume level if someone has a question or to skip a song if I don't feel it's suitable for the class' fitness level.

So, some lady, who I eventually find out is my boss, barges in and fiddles with the stereo equipment in the middle of my class, saying, "Go ahead, keep teaching." Because my class is primarily all beginner cyclers, I get off my bike to help adjust some of my students. I want to make sure everyone's equipment is safe, that they feel comfortable asking me questions, and I get everyone's name.

The class ends up being a great first class, despite all the interruptions and getting the bugs worked out of the new equipment. But then my-boss-lady-person, who told me her name but it escapes me now because she rattled me so badly, finds me after class to tell me she has a few suggestions.

a) That I have my music prepared so that I don't have a need to get off the bike.
b) That I instruct the class as a whole as to how to operate the bikes safely, rather than visit them individually.

This is where I get defensive. I don't mean to, but when you're nervous enough to hold your first class in a new place with new bosses, you really don't want the first reviews of your performance to be 100% negative. I nodded my head yes and said thank you, but I really wanted to address a couple of issues with her.

First of all, I am human. Here's what I mean: This lady could've asked me how long I've been teaching or if I've toured the majority of the new facility. Secondly, now that I have children, I find it so hard to understand how after I mentioned that I needed to pick them up at the Kids Klub, that she declined to comment on their existence. All I'm asking for is a little, "Oh, you have kids? How old are they?" or, "What are their names?" or maybe even just a simple, "Children are nice." Well, maybe not that- because then I would genuinely suspect that she really could be a robot.

Oh, and lastly, the fact that you're mean and dressed completely in black really does make you extremely witch-like, so I would suggest nixing the mean part.

I could never be the type of person to completely neglect anyone's feelings. It's just not in my blood, and if that's the type of blood you need to be a supervisor, then I'm just fine with my measly instructor job. Please, a little kindness would be really refreshing.

No comments:

 
Hit Counters